With Google continuing to increase its efforts on checking unscrupulous and harmful SEO activities to improve search engine rankings, numerous sites are being penalized or banned in totality.
Therefore it is imperative that you avoid certain fraudulent Balckhat SEO activities at all costs in 2014:
- Doorway pages – are those pages that are attached to websites targeting specific keywords, without providing values for visitors. They are dependent on the notion that visitors will automatically continue browsing the site after landing on them.
- Quantity of links over quality. Link building is a very important aspect of SEO campaigns, but the need of the hour is to focus on quality over quantity and not the other way round.
- Keyword heavy content. It is a false notion that more keywords will yield better results. Instead, you should use keywords only naturally as excessive use of keywords will lead to penalties by Google.
- Cloaking. It is a novel practice of web site designing in such a way that the designers and visitors see two different things. It is a very popular spamming trick and might incur the wrath of Google and lead to banning of the domain.
- Duplicate Content: Google has recently launched two algorithm updates which locate and penalize domains that use duplicate content to earn rankings in the search engine. Bottom line – duplicate and stolen content need to be avoided at all costs.
- Hidden Text is accomplished by putting a layer of text on top of another layer of text. Though only one layer of text is visible to the reader, both the layers of texts are visible to search engines, providing opportunities for more keywords and content. This too is in total violation of ‘Google Web Master Guidelines’, incurring severe penalties from Google.
Some other are:
- Article Submission in directories.
- Keyword Rich Anchor Text
- Using Low quality sites for link building (Less then DA 20)
- Spammy Guest Blogging
- Quantity of links over quality
- Relying on link-backs instead of content
These are some activities on which you should really stop using. Following Infographic made by blogmost.com shows methods to market your content and getting high quality backlinks with little efforts :
Click the image to see larger view: